Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mothers Day and Beyond

Mother's Day
Last week's Mother's Day was fairly uneventful, which is a good thing.  I even got to take a nap!  Ken bought me a GPS system- a surprise to say the least.  And I desperately needed one!  I get lost the 1st and 2nd time I go ANYWHERE.  Just ask my friend Mel- between the two of us in Italy and Greece, it would take us 20 minutes to walk to a place that we'd later realize was just around the corner.

L & T's newest joke:  
Q: What color is a burp?  
A: Burple

Happy Teacher Appreciation Week, as a gift for you, we put our child on Ritalin.  ;)
Yes, as much as I joke about it, we're serious.  T was diagnosed with ADHD.  Not a surprise to me... Ken had a much harder time accepting it (and still does.)  We disagreed on treatment and went the non-medicine route for a short-while.  Ironically, during Teacher Appreciation Week, we started the medicine and I emailed the teacher saying, "In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, we started T on Ritalin."  
(... and if you are wondering, it's the lowest possible dose and helping T tremendously.)  

Plans for the Summer
My parents invited L & T to stay with them for a couple of days- without Ken and me.  Most parents would probably jump for joy... I am a bit nervous for a couple of reasons (nothing to do with trusting my parents with the kids.  They're amazing.)  I start to think, what the hell am I going to do with myself without the kids around???  L & T love the idea of going to Nana and Poppy's.  When L tells people about it, she says, "Well Mommy left ME for 6 days, so now I'm going to show HER how it feels."  (Referencing my Italy trip.)

Where did you learn THAT!?
Just today the kids were practicing using their Heelies and we stopped and chatted with our neighbors, "Mr. Nick and Ms. Mel".  T was doing fairly well but goofing off nonetheless and L fell because she put her toes down and tripped herself.  She skinned her knee and after getting some sympathy she sat down on the step, whimpering and trying to conjure up some tears.  T apparently heard enough whining from L and wanted her to move so he could keep practicing.  So he says, "Alright, let's cut the crap.  Time to Heely!"  

I wanted to laugh, yell, hide, play deaf, and congratulate him for proper grammar usage all within .5 seconds.  Nick had to turn around and walk away so T didn't see him laughing so hard.  (Reason #342 why Ritalin SHOULD NOT be skipped on weekends: once the thought enters the head, there's no filter to prevent it from coming out the lips.)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Daniel is night and day on Ritalin. We give it to him at the weekend too as he would be out of control. Don't feel badly about it, I think it does help them to think straight, especially at a younger age. as he gets older, he might be able to learn ways to concentrate without drugs. I was very hesitant at first, but now I have no qualms about it at all. We tried Ben on it and it was horrible for him, so he's flying solo....

Jane